In 1887, Thomas Marsalis and his partner John Armstrong bought 2,000 acres on the western banks of the Trinity River. The land was platted as Dallas Land and Loan Additions #1, #2, and #3. Business was brisk as a number of three-storied Queen Anne homes went up on the lots. The area was emerging as an elite suburb of Dallas, and Marsalis’ vision of Oak Cliff grew increasingly more elaborate. He promoted the bluffs as a health spa and educational mecca. Several hundred Victorian homes were built, and by 1890 the population swelled to 2,500. Dallas Land and Loan was the actual residential development of an envisioned, fully- incorporated city of Oak Cliff.
The depression of 1893 ended Marsalis’ dream. Land sales plummeted; he was forced to sell, and died penniless in New York City two years later. Land and Loan had sporadic building activity through the 1930s. Most of the homes erected were Victorian or Prairie bungalows. Following World War 11, many of the three-story homes were being cut up into apartments. By the 1970s, few original single-family homes remained, having suffered demolition for newer development.
Urban pioneers discovered the area and began saving some of the older homes. At the same time interest in the neighborhood developed. The big Queen Anne-style homes offer elegant touches of Victorian style, with partial or full width porches, cut-away bay windows and steep gables. The smaller homes feature large windows, pocket doors and interior transoms. Some of the sought-after characteristics are hardwood floors, comer fireplaces with oak mantles, and beveled glass mirrors. Dallas Land and Loan is one of the few remaining pieces of the original Old Oak Cliff, providing excellent examples of turn of the century homes. The neighborhood association, formed in 1983, is committed to the further enhancement of the area. Its major concern has always been the reestablishment of family owned and occupied housing, instead of rentals with absentee landlords.
In 1990, the Bishop Arts District was carved out of Dallas Land and Loan and listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. The old commercial block is now home to artisans and locally owned and operated businesses, restaurants and shops. In 1992, the City of Dallas created Conservation District 7, protecting the architectural integrity of both the commercial and residential structures in this sub-area. In 2001, Dallas amended this ordinance to decrease the parking requirements and expanded the area across Davis into the Kidd Springs neighborhood. The historic designation, the business friendly parking requirements and Councilmember and future Mayor Laura Miller’s efforts to improve the infrastructure with landscaping and period lighting, catapulted the area to success. Many who had never set foot in Oak Cliff before were drawn to the history and authenticity the area provided that much of the rest of the city had lost.
In 2009, developers responded to that success by launching a rezoning campaign that attempted to rename Dallas Land and Loan by copying New Orleans’ “Garden District”. In Bishop Arts, conservation district architectural guidelines in place for residences would be done away with because they wanted those homes demolished and replaced. They would now be three-story buildings even though no commercial historic structure in the conservation district rises above two. In Dallas Land and Loan, homes would be replaced largely by 4 and 5 story buildings. No architectural protections have been mentioned for the remaining contributing pieces of architecture that were left standing after the last attept to let apartments be built in the area.
Properties marked by the NTREIS Logo are courtesy of the NTREIS Multiple Listing Service. Property listing data provided by NTREIS multiple listing service. You may not reproduce or redistribute this data, it is for viewing purposes only. This data is deemed reliable, but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS or NTREIS. Updated: 7th July, 2020 7:00 AM