The Kiestwood area was built between 1950 and 1965. The original area was made up of the Kiestwood Estates and Southwood Estates subdivisions. The structures were a mix of builder houses (principally Fox and Jacobs) and custom built contemporaries.
Today, over 400 homes contained within the Kiestwood Historical Homeowners Association boundaries represent the largest, intact concentration of Mid-Century (1950’s) ranch styled structures in Dallas. Of special note are the contemporary / modern and Dilbeck-inspired styles found here. The Kiestwood Historical Homeowners Association is located between Kiest Boulevard, Southwood Drive, Hampton Road, and Cedarhurst Drive. This mix of houses all blend to form one of the finest surviving style examples that take us back to the idyllic settings and times of "Leave It to Beaver" and "Father Knows Best".
Architectural details like wrought iron and iron lace trimmed porches, ceramic tiled baths, formal living areas, dens with knotty pine paneling and fireplaces, and large open yards are typical here. Some of the first homes in the Dallas area with master bedrooms that included walk-in closets, vanities, and built-ins in the dressing room were in areas like Kiestwood. These features set this area’s homes apart from most of the upper-middle class neighborhoods that predated us.
Nearby Kiest Park, good schools, shopping in areas like Wynnewood Village, Jefferson Boulevard, the Hampton-Illinois area, convenient highway access, and Red Bird (today known as Dallas Executive) Airport, provided the amenities any new homeowner would have wanted.